Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Pojangmacha (tent bar) in Bomun

I love pojangmacha and wanted to try one near our house. This is just few minutes away by cab in Bomun Market. Pojangmacha food is the best!

The first dish that we ordered was spicy 주꾸미 (tako, type of octopus) that you cook on the table on a hot stone. It was really spicy but I loved the mochi (the white circular pieces that you see above) that was nicely browned on the stone and chewy but tasty 주꾸미 legs that were well seasoned with kochujang sauce. It was 10000won, like most of the pojangmacha food, but well worth it.

A close up of the 주꾸미  or the octopus leg. Yummy~

Although it sounds gross, I love 닭똥집 or chicken gizzard. This dish is prepared differently depending on the restaurant and personally I don't really care how it's prepared. I like it yakitori style, spicy or just simply seasoned with salt and pepper.  This restaurant seasoned the intestine with salt and pepper and I loved its simplicity that accentuated its natural flavor and chewiness. I also liked the vegetables that came with it, such as onions, green peppers and garlic. It definitely helped us soothe our burning taste buds from the spicy 주꾸미 (octopus). 


Oh my god, when we thought spicy octopus was hot, 골뱅이 무침 (seasoned escargot) topped it off! We had to eat the somen noodles to ease the burning from the sauce and asked for few more refills of the somen noodles. This dish apparently can be moderated in its spiciness so we asked for normal spiciness but this is where we made the MISTAKE. When Koreans ask you how hot, you answer not spicy! This will still be spicy for the most of us, even those of you who think they can handle spicy food. We should've definitely asked for not hot! I still feel the burning sensation in my mouth. Nonetheless, spiciness is addicting and we still ended up finishing up the dish while letting steam off of our tongues!

No comments: