Monday, January 19, 2009

Napa in Seoul- A story of Korean wine called Mak-gul-li

If you go to Korea University, you have to stop by at Napa. Ok, it's not the California winery you probably thought of but seriously this is what Korea University students call this pajun, makgulli joint. It's actually short for Nagune Pajun, taking the first syllable of each word. Korea University is known for its drinking especially makgulli. It was my first time trying this white, milky-colored, tangy drink but it's really smooth and before I knew it I drank 2 bottles! Of course knowing me, I didn't feel anything but a small buzz, but it really is a good drink that complements your food. Everyone that comes to Napa orders Makgulli with seafood pajun and deep fried stuffed peppers. You see the size of the pepper? And the pajun was also stuffed with seafood that is at least an inch thick! The best pajun ever!!!! It's only 8000won ($6.15) each. Can you beat this price? I don't think so! I love Korea!

Apparently there are a lot of makgulli brands out there but this one, Seoul Makgulli is most popular amongst the young Koreans. I definitely prefer this brand. It's 3000 won or ($2). And it definitely tastes better when you drink it out of this stainless bowl.

Pajun or chijimi (Japanese people call this chijimi) was huge and thick! I loved all the squid legs that were in there along with pa (green onion). The crust was perfectly crispy and the inside was cooked just right. I'm salivating as I'm writing this. It was THAT good and only for 8000won!

When I first saw the pepper tempura, I thought 'man those are some huge peppers!' I was nicely surprised to find after my first bite that it was actually stuffed pepper, stuffed with some kind of meat (I'm assuming pork because beef would be too expensive to use) and once again very crispy on the outside but tender on the inside. This one also only cost 8000 won. This has to be the signature dish here. Highly highly recommended!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

That pepper sounds AWESOME! Can I come visit you and get one? (I'm serious!)

Kelly Belly =9 said...

yes! come and i'll show you around!

Unknown said...

i agree the pepper tempura does look amazing.