Friday, June 19, 2009

Doriking in Insadong~ kamameshi or 솥밥

I love Korean food but if I had to pick my next favorite, it would be Japanese. Ever since I came to Korea, I've been craving really good Japanese food that I was so used to back at home in Hawaii. I know I can have all the Korean food that I can possibly want in the world but I need variety and diversity. And I realized once again how much I loved Japanese food! I miss Japan!

Feeling nostalgic and homesick, I was happy to find this Japanese stonepot rice restaurant called Doriking in Insadong, near Anguk Station.
Koreans use kama or stonepots for a lot of their dish. Dolsot-bibimbap would be a Korean equivalent of kamameshi. But the Japanese style stonepot rice is more subtle in flavor, concentrating on the ingredients focusing on each vegetable's unique flavor. Some Koreans may feel this is bland but only through these subtle seasoning, the real flavor of each vegetable can come out and be appreciated.
I had the mushroom kamameshi teishoku. Miso soup was a nice change from 된장찌개 Korean miso soup.
A close up of the kamameshi...mushrooms and sweet potato...yum...
My mouth was in heaven~

4 comments:

Betsy said...

*drool* That looks soooo good!

Nick said...

that looks really yummy : )
I will be in Japan in a couple of weeks and can't wait to eat local food everyday!

Unknown said...

Hi I'm Steve.
wow it looks so delicious. I really wish I will eat them all as soon as possible. ^^ Someday Would you go to the this restraunt with me? Please ...

Kelly Belly =9 said...

sure! we can definitely go there together!