Thursday, February 26, 2009

과메기 Kwamegi - fermented fish (sashimi)

I have definitely become more adventurous and brave over the years. I would've never tried fermented fish few years back but here I am eating 과메기. I can almost call myself a gourmet now that I can appreciate the diverse methods of food preparation. Anyway, kwamegi 과메기 is 꽁치, sanma, mackerel pike (according to my dictionary) but I really don't know what to call this fish. You eat it like a raw fish, sashimi style but it doesn't quite taste the same. Apparently this fish has been frozen, thawed, and then frozen and thawed again and this process is repeated many times until it reaches the current state. This dish is famous in Pohang area in Korea and found out there are more Koreans who don't like it than those who do (some think it's too fishy). But I'm one of those that love it. I love seafood. I was skeptical at first but it is definitely chewier and flavorful and is perfect appetizer with soju, which may be the main reason why I like it so much.
As you can see, you eat this as a wrap with sesame leaves, nori, seaweed, leeks, and of course garlic and pepper.
A close up of the fish.
The full view of the table. You also get cabbage leaves and broccoli on the side with seaweed soup.
This is how the wrap would look like if you added all the ingredients. Follow this order.
1. sesame leaf 2. nori 3. fish 4. seaweed 5. kochujang and miso sauce 6. leek 7.garlic & pepper
Before it goes into your mouth, this is how it looks. So yummy~ I love the sesame leaf's aroma and the taste. It brings out the flavors of other food, which makes it perfect to be eaten as a wrap and appetizer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Koreans ferment EVERYTHING! But I'd be willing to give it a try - I've never had Korean food I didn't like!

Unknown said...

I don't know how you ate this unnie...AND thought it was so good. You're a fighter.