Monday, February 2, 2009

6 months in Korea- In review

When I arrived in Seoul on July 8, 2008 it was my first return to Korea in 21 years. I had mixed emotions about this move. Although I was excited about visiting my hometown and all the Korean food that awaited me, I was filled with fear, doubt and regret about coming to Korea at the ripe age of 30 as a student. When I left, a lot of my friends were getting married, having kids, buying a place of their own and getting settled in their careers. Me on the other hand, left my safe haven and the paradise behind in pursuit of my dream for a better future. But I wasn't sure if it would lead to a better future or if I was really going after my dream. I began to ask myself, what do I really want in life? what really makes me happy? what is my dream? I thought I already went through a quarterlife crisis but I felt like I was going through another one (hope it's not early midlife crisis!). At times, I feel like maybe I should give up and just get married (not that I have anyone to marry) and then at others, I feel like I don't have to get married as long as I find a career that I find rewarding and worthwhile. But that leads to another dilemma. What is a rewarding and worthwhile job? The main reason why I'm here is in pursuit of finding that but realized this isn't something you can find in a year.

My first six months of Korea was full of these thoughts that hung over me like a dark cloud. Maybe that's why I couldn't really enjoy Korea as is and enjoy the simple pleasures. Things that I hated about Korea stood out more and felt like I could never really be ME here which made my stay in Korea even more depressing and dreadful.

But things turned around. I don't know exactly what happened but with a new year and a year older and wiser perhaps, noticed how quickly 6 months flew by. I knew I had no time to waste by complaining about my situation or fearing about the unknown future. This is my once in a lifetime opportunity to enjoy my singledom with no attachments or obligations. I am here in another country by myself and I should feel fortunate to have had this chance to study, work, and play here. So after I came to this revelation that I am actually a very lucky girl, I decided to make the most out of the 6 months that I have left in Korea by doing everything that I ever wanted to do here. I am not going to look back at my last 6 months but only look forward with no regrets! This may be why I started this blog. I wanted to enjoy rest of my time here and cherish everything that I EAT (the best part), see, and do. So, I made a list of things that I MUST DO before I leave in July to have no regrets!

1. Go ice-skating at City Hall. (The easiest ones first. I work near here so shouldn't be a problem)
2. Go snowboarding
3. Go to China, Hong Kong, Taiwan or other neighboring Asian countries
4. Learn Chinese
5. Improve my Japanese by taking classes or making new friends (it's gonna be hard but i'll have to try!)
6. Go hiking in one of the mountains here
7. Volunteer, although I am basically volunteering at my internship
8. Go to all the famous food streets in Korea
9. Visit all the palaces/museums in Korea
10. Go to a concert
11. Watch a musical or play (both major & minor ones)
12. Continue yoga
13. Take an interpretation/translation class
14. Visit another city in Korea
15. Go to Hangang & ride the bicycle
16. Go to Japan on a ferry boat
17. Buy a pretty hanbok
18. Visit as many pretty cafes & restaurants as possible and blog it!
19. Take picture under cherry blossom tree when its in full bloom
20. Go indoor rock climbing
21. Go to a baseball game and watch Samsung Tigers play

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you're enjoying yourself, even if it took some time to relax into it. Good luck accomplishing everything on your list! You are very ambitious!

Kelly Belly =9 said...

I am crossing out #1 cause I'm doing that today. Woo-hoo~ It's only a $1 to skate and 50cents to rent the skates! It's dirt cheap... I guess the City is sponsoring this but I'm really getting into these cheap city sponsored events. I'm gonna check out Jazz and the city afterwards, which is also a $1.

Thanks for reading betsy! miss u!

Unknown said...

hey unnie. i think all of us understand the feeling of crisis and uncertainty while we were in korea. i'm sure some people felt it more noticeably than others, but all of us suffered to some extent. this entry was very encouraging, and gave me motivation to enjoy my time here in korea while i am, like you said, still unattached with no obligations. i want to do some of the things on your list of things to do (like the musical & play, museums, 맛집), so count me in when you go! :)

Valentina said...

I'm really enjoying your blog. It's making me hungry! But in an seriousness, I can relate to your dilemma. I was adopted at a young age, and returned to Korea for the first time in many years. I'm teaching at an elementary school, and I'm not sure what I want. A part of me wants to run back to the states, and another wants to enjoy this once in a lifetime moment. Anyway best of luck to you finding your way and keep up the food postings ;)